The tissue that lines the uterus is called the endometrium and is discharged during each menstrual period.
Endometriosis is a condition where the tissue that?s typically found on the inside of your uterus grows on the outside of it, on areas such as the ovaries, the tubes, the out wall of the uterus, the bowels and bladder.
Endometriosis is a condition that unfortunately, no one knows why it happens and how to prevent it. Predictions of future fertility are basically impossible. It is the cause of up to 80% of pelvic pain and infertility.
The symptoms of this condition tend to be worse around menstruation periods. Signs and symptoms include:
- pelvic pain
- increased pain during periods and intercourse
- pain with bowel movements and urination
- heavy periods, or bleeding between periods
- constipation, diarrhea
- low back pain
- intense cramping
There?s currently no cure for this condition, however Naturopathic treatment which combines pain management, a healthy lifestyle with good nutrition and exercise AND Acupuncture is a very effective option to support hormonal balancing and relieve pain.
DIET RECOMMENDATION FOR ENDOMETRIOSIS
- Avoid Trans Fats. … Trans fat is found predominately in fried, processed, and fast foods
- Cut Down on Red Meat. …
- Eat Plenty of Fruits, Vegetables and Whole Grains. …
- Limit Caffeine and Alcohol. …
- Cut down on Processed Foods. ..
- Avoid or limit foods that may promote inflammation in the body and lead to further pain or progression of the disorder.
- Try a Gluten-Free or Low-FODMAP Diet. …
Add these to your diet
- fibrous foods, such as fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains
- iron-rich foods, such as dark leafy greens, broccoli, beans, fortified grains, nuts, and seeds
- foods rich in essential fatty acids, such as salmon, sardines, herring, trout, walnuts, chia, and flax seeds
- antioxidant-rich foods found in colorful fruits and vegetables, such as oranges, berries, dark chocolate, spinach, and beet
Research suggests that green tea?s cancer-fighting ingredient EGCG can also help endometriosis .
CONCLUSION: Unfortunately there are no miraculous cures or diets to prevent or cure the condition.
However eating well, increasing omega-3 rich food , lots of greens and antioxidants, cutting back on trans fat and having acupuncture and massage therapies may control pain and symptoms of endometriosis.
Genya Fleischer, Naturopath, Acupuncturist and Pharmacist, Caulfield Natural Health Clinic